Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sweet Evil Read Along Week 2: Citrus/Pear Recipe



Citrus/Pear Recipe
Renaissance Orange Apple Pie

INGREDIENTS

9 inch unbaked pie pastry shell and lid
5 medium oranges
3 cups water
1 cup honey
Juice of ½ small lemon
4 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
½ cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar, dissolved in 1 tablespoon rose water

PREPARATION

Bake pie shell at 425 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Let cool.  Slice unpeeled oranges as thinly as possible, discarding seeds.  Combine water, honey, and lemon juice in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil.  Add orange slices, cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 2 hours or until peel is limp and easily chewed.  Drain and set aside slices.  In a bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and spices.  Add apple slices and toss until evenly coated.  Place a layer of apple slices in pie shell, then layer of orange slices.  Repeat with remaining fruit.  Place pastry lid over filling, crimp edges and slash lid in a few places.  Paint lid with rose-water icing.  Bake at 350 degree oven for 1 hours.


Sweet Evil Week 2 Reading

I'm not going to write a full review until I've finished the book at the end of the Read Along, but each week I'll share a snippet from one of my favorite scenes and a favorite quote.

Kaidan's Bare Behind (Page 143):

While his eyes were closed I stared unabashedly. His shoulders were rounded and his forearms tight. His entire torso was a sight to see--a toned chest angling downward to his abs with a slight ripple, but he wasn't cut in a way that might make a girl feel self-conscious of her own imperfections. His waist went down in a vee at his hips, where it met the hotel blanket.

I tore my eyes away when he stirred. From the corner of my eye I saw him throw the blankets easily aside and scoot to the edge of the bed by the window. He stood up, facing away from me, and raised his arms for a glorious stretch. When I looked again my eyes landed on his bare behind.

Dear God!

I screamed and buried my face in my pillow.

"What?!" I heard him ask. "Did you see a roach?"

"Why are you naked?!" I did not dare lift my red face.

"Huh. Is that all?" he asked. "I always sleep in the buff. I don't know how you can stand all that clothing."

"Unbelievable," I said. I pulled myself up and stomped to the bathroom.

A Couple Favorite Quotes (Pages 140 & 230):

"Anna?" His voice was low. Of course he knew I was awake. I didn't answer, but he was undeterred. "Did you at least enjoy your first kiss?"

***

"And tell the Rowe boy to keep his paws off my little girl, 'cause I'll be out soon to take care of him if he doesn't."

No comments:

Post a Comment